Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Explaning Unschooling

At work today a good friend, as well as a suppliers, of Allison came in to drop off some bones. As with most people we started talking and something was said to make her ask how old I was. When I told her I was fifteen she asked the typical question of why aren't you in school? I went through the whole, I'm unschooled, therefore I don't have to go to school. Well this lady was genuinely interested in what unschooling was and asked for details, so I gave her the basics. I got about halfway through the shpeel that I normally give people on unschooling when I suddenly said something about Cece and how she learns because she wants to, not because she's forced to. And then I realized I'm the same way. For the past couple of years I've been told that, but I'd never realized it until this morning. Let me tell you, I almost cried. I'm not even sure why. Well, I am. I'm PMSin' so my hormones are a little on the wack side, but that doesn't really explain why I would cry because my sister learns because she wants to. It makes no sense, and it leaves me pondering. Maybe that's a good thing. I've been feeling stuck lately. I needed something to give me a push. If you're not making progress in Life then what are you doing? There's always something new to learn.

<3
Olivia

No comments: